Heart2Heart

Serving the cardiophile community since 2016.

You are not logged in.

There is a small ad here.
We'd love you forever if you would donate or whitelist our site/disable your adblocker.

#1 2017-02-19 17:48:12

thewyrdguy
Files: 42
PM Website

Up/downvoting; tags

Hi,

First, I think that it would be useful to have up/down votes and comments on the "view file" page, like on youtube (and everywhere else). I want to record my reaction as I view/listen.
It may be useful to allow sorting by most upvoted, most downvoted, most controversial (~equally upvoted and downvoted). A la reddit.

Second, tag rules are unnecessarily harsh. Why no blanks? Why type # when the entry field is clearly marked as "tags"? Why disallow untagged submission?

#2 2017-02-19 18:20:32

ChiraBeats
Administrator
Files: 43
PM Website

Re: Up/downvoting; tags

thewyrdguy wrote:

Hi,

First, I think that it would be useful to have up/down votes and comments on the "view file" page, like on youtube (and everywhere else). I want to record my reaction as I view/listen.

I can add a <3 button to the file page itself, I also need to add a link to the comments page or just put the comments on the file page itself.

It may be useful to allow sorting by most upvoted, most downvoted, most controversial (~equally upvoted and downvoted). A la reddit.

I don't want downvotes. And not for the "muh feels" reason you might expect. Downvotes, upvotes, and, most importantly, sorting using those by default kills free speech. It makes the system easy to game, and lets people to collectively stick their head in the sand if they see an opinion they don't particularly agree with. On top of that, on reddit downvotes are meant to hide comments that don't contribute to the discussion. That just does not translate at all to files. There's no conversation there, and just by uploading a file you're contributing.

That said, if you guys as a whole want this (or anything for that matter), and it's possible for me to do (this is), then I don't have any real reason to say no.

Second, tag rules are unnecessarily harsh. Why no blanks? Why type # when the entry field is clearly marked as "tags"?

For technical reasons. It was the simplest way to get tags searchable. Searches are split up into words that are separated by spaces, if tags contain spaces then that makes them unsearchable. The #s are there to separate tags from just plain old words in the site search feature. As far as searching is concerned, there's no difference between the word "visible" in the description and the tag "visible". But there is between the word "#visible" and the tag "#visible", because the forums strip out all punctuation from search words when it's indexing. The only exception is the # character in tags, which lets us search for specific tags.

Why disallow untagged submission?

Organization. Can't find what you're looking for if what you're looking for is in an unlabeled box among thousands of others.

#3 2017-02-20 09:03:25

emofreako
Files: 20
PM Website

Downvotes and "dislikes" are a pretty poor system, which is the reason I don't like Reddit. The idea is to increase organization and filter out poor quality content, but it just becomes a mess and as many subreddits point out just becomes a system based on self opinion than anything.

It's not a fashion statement, it's a deathwish.

#4 2017-02-20 13:17:07

T145
No avatar found
Files: 0
PM

And it is not as though there is any need to rate (downvote) the content, as there is the fact that almost all the media is relevant, and the ones that aren't may be reported for deletion. :P Might be worth setting it up so that files with many reports are hidden until they are reviewed by admins/moderators, though. (Helps with the cleanup of spam)

#5 2017-02-20 21:23:44

thewyrdguy
Files: 42
PM Website

ChiraBeats wrote:
thewyrdguy wrote:

Second, tag rules are unnecessarily harsh. Why no blanks? Why type # when the entry field is clearly marked as "tags"?

For technical reasons. It was the simplest way to get tags searchable. Searches are split up into words that are separated by spaces, if tags contain spaces then that makes them unsearchable. The #s are there to separate tags from just plain old words in the site search feature. As far as searching is concerned, there's no difference between the word "visible" in the description and the tag "visible". But there is between the word "#visible" and the tag "#visible", because the forums strip out all punctuation from search words when it's indexing. The only exception is the # character in tags, which lets us search for specific tags.

There is no need to expose these technicalities to the user. Entry field is already labelled "tags", so you can split it by commas, append the hashsign and replace spaces with %20 or something before storing it in the database. And translate back when you display them. Having to wait while the file is uploaded only to find that it was rejected because you forgot the hash sign is frustrating. By the way, a worm or spinner to show that uploading is in progress would be nice to have.

#6 2017-02-20 22:13:02

ChiraBeats
Administrator
PM Website

thewyrdguy wrote:

There is no need to expose these technicalities to the user. Entry field is already labelled "tags", so you can split it by commas, append the hashsign and replace spaces with %20 or something before storing it in the database. And translate back when you display them. Having to wait while the file is uploaded only to find that it was rejected because you forgot the hash sign is frustrating. By the way, a worm or spinner to show that uploading is in progress would be nice to have.

And that would work fine if the search system was redesigned, or if I built a completely new dedicated file searcher from scratch. Even if the field is labeled "tags" when uploading, there's nothing like that on the search page. Just keywords, which are split on spaces, not commas.

thewyrdguy wrote:

Having to wait while the file is uploaded only to find that it was rejected because you forgot the hash sign is frustrating.

Ah. Now this is something I can fix.

thewyrdguy wrote:

By the way, a worm or spinner to show that uploading is in progress would be nice to have.

That sounds suspiciously easy. What do I do, just slap an image on the screen when you hit Upload?

Last edited by ChiraBeats (2017-02-20 22:14:14)

#7 2017-02-20 23:50:53

ChiraBeats
Administrator
PM Website

For the record though, I'm not against allowing all that stuff in tags. It's just not possible to have that without building a new search dedicated to files, which is on the to-do list anyway. So it's definitely not "No" it's just "Not yet"

Board footer