Heart2Heart

Serving the cardiophile community since 2016.

You are not logged in.

There is a small ad here.
We'd love you forever if you would donate or whitelist our site/disable your adblocker.

#1 2018-06-02 01:35:14

PineMarten
Files: 1
PM

An engine with a mind of its own

I haven't done creative writing in a long time, I hope you enjoy it :). Just a product of my musings on the heart:

Life sustaining beats throughout the night, keeping the individual alive as they sleep. Heedless of their will, sometimes against their will. They could cry out, yell at it to stop… but all the heart would do is increase its pace, its force. The heart is captive in the human chest, but the human is held captive by their heart. Captivated. Is there no ransom to satisfy this relentless pump, with its ceaseless throbs and thumps?

It was inescapable from the start. This heart knew its person, before the person knew their heart. Their spirit is held hostage. The rhythmic reminder is both torment and reassurance. You’re stuck with me; you can’t live without me, words implied in the brief silence between closed valves.

This person shivers at its strength. Many people rarely see their heartbeat. Some can see hints of it; a quiet tapping emanating from within. Echoes in arteries. And a monotonous song with the pumping of blood. The heart’s true form is rarely seen. X-rays reveal a silhouette. Ultrasounds and MRIs reveal phantom movements of this vital organ, deceptively forceful. But laid bare in death or alive in the operating theatre, a familiar yet otherworldly sight. Evokes a terrible awe and disgust, yet stirs the imagination and fuels insatiable curiosity. For some, it awakens a gruesome, warm and incredible love.

Regardless of whether or not you’ve seen yours, the feeling is undeniable. Even those who cannot see or listen can feel the furnace. Feel the engine. When you run, it runs with you. When you rest, it rests with you. Treat or mistreat this muscle, it will respond in turn. But the heart is determined not to stop. While it cannot escape mortality, it can hold it off. Death can wait another day.

Board footer