Heart2Heart

Serving the cardiophile community since 2016.

You are not logged in.

There is a small ad here.
We'd love you forever if you would donate or whitelist our site/disable your adblocker.

#1 2017-04-08 04:31:09

ChiraBeats
Administrator
Files: 43
PM Website

Easy streaming for H2H

Added a page to view users who are streaming, also includes instructions on how to stream to the site yourself. If you're streaming, it'll tell you who's listening. Be aware, though, that's not quite finished. It looks like it doesn't remove listeners who have stopped listening, at least not without totally restarting the stream.

I've also made good progress on a simple, push-button application to stream to H2H. Check it out:

faaoGxq.png

You hit Setup to enter your username and password, and Stream to start streaming. At the moment it works 100%, I just need to package it up neatly. But right at this moment I can only confirm it works on Linux. There's code in it to support Windows, but is currently untested. There is no support at all for macOS as of now. That'll change soon.

Actually now that I think about it, we could probably just do away with the Setup button entirely. If you try to stream without first hitting setup it'll force you to give it a username and password anyway, so it's not like that button is necessary at all.

#2 2017-04-08 14:18:25

HeartLover1990
Banned
No avatar found
Files: 0
PM

Re: Easy streaming for H2H

That is awesome dude :)

#3 2017-04-12 02:11:22

ChiraBeats
Administrator
PM Website

Running into some issues getting it up and running on Windows. There's no option to just have the computer pick the default microphone, you have to go and look for what's available and then pick that explicitly yourself which is a pain. Makes you go through a whole interrogation. Can't just say "I want to record," it'll say "record what?" So you say "The microphone" and it says "What microphone?" So you have to go and explicitly look up the exact name of that microphone so you can finally go and say "I want to record 'Microphone (Realtek A97RZ)'." Linux and macOS both let you have defaults. You just say "Hey I wanna record" and they say "Sure thing my man". Speaking of, macOS support has been added but not tested.

#4 2017-04-22 23:41:38

ChiraBeats
Administrator
PM Website

Alright, more news on the magic streaming application. It can now actually stream on Windows. Problem is now getting it to stop streaming. Right now not even closing the application will stop it from streaming which is insanely weird and doesn't happen anywhere except Windows. Linux and macOS are both perfectly fine.

#5 2017-04-24 21:22:55

Deleted user #529

Do you know when the streaming button will be up and ready (as in I don't want to have to download anything else and instead, stream from the website itself)? I'm getting my fetal Doppler in on Friday (possibly) and want to test out live streaming.

#6 2017-04-24 21:30:51

ChiraBeats
Administrator
PM Website

Unfortunately the streaming button is a download. I don't believe it is possible to stream without downloading anything, at least with my current level of knowledge. The best I can do is make a very simple tool that makes streaming as easy as pushing a button, after you download that button.

What OS do you use? I might be able to send a beta version your way.

Last edited by ChiraBeats (2017-04-24 21:31:21)

#7 2017-04-24 21:31:51

Deleted user #529

Oh Okay. Cool. I might check that out. Let me know when it's ready!

#8 2017-04-24 21:41:55

Deleted user #529

@ChiraBeats I use (I believe) iOs Lion (? I'm always confused for the Mac part of the iOS)

#9 2017-04-25 02:10:42

ChiraBeats
Administrator
PM Website

So you have a macbook? I can definitely see if I can get something worked out by Friday. I haven't tested the Mac version yet, but it's not Windows so it should be ready in no time. The Windows version is just giving me one headache after another, I needed a break from that anyway.

#10 2017-04-25 02:57:18

Deleted user #529

Yes, I have a Macbook, if that helps in anyway.

#11 2017-04-25 15:56:28

T145
No avatar found
Files: 0
PM

ChiraBeats wrote:

Unfortunately the streaming button is a download. I don't believe it is possible to stream without downloading anything, at least with my current level of knowledge. The best I can do is make a very simple tool that makes streaming as easy as pushing a button, after you download that button.

What OS do you use? I might be able to send a beta version your way.

One way I could think of to make that happen is to use the embedded audio player to play the stream when clicked, since a stream could be interpreted as an endless file.

#12 2017-04-25 16:08:16

ChiraBeats
Administrator
PM Website

hm? That's what we do for listening to streams on the site itself, I don't think you can apply the same thing to creating a stream though.

#13 2017-04-28 17:06:33

ChiraBeats
Administrator
PM Website

About to give up on the Windows version. It works now. 100%. You can start a stream, stop a stream, and it all works great on Windows now.

But I can't package it up. I'm writing the program as a python+PyQt5 wrapper around ffmpeg which handles the actual streaming. On the other two platforms I use PyInstaller to "compile" it to an executable that doesn't need its dependencies already installed and it works fine.

On Windows PyInstaller doesn't support Python 3.6 so that's no good. Actually it looks like it just won't work at all on Windows 10 (which is what I have) because of a dirty hack Microsoft used with some DLLs that don't actually exist to make it look like they exist. And it looks like this is affecting all of the other similar projects like cx_Freeze and py2exe.

#14 2017-04-28 23:01:03

paperpenguin
Files: 3
PM

ChiraBeats wrote:

About to give up on the Windows version. It works now. 100%. You can start a stream, stop a stream, and it all works great on Windows now.

But I can't package it up. I'm writing the program as a python+PyQt5 wrapper around ffmpeg which handles the actual streaming. On the other two platforms I use PyInstaller to "compile" it to an executable that doesn't need its dependencies already installed and it works fine.

On Windows PyInstaller doesn't support Python 3.6 so that's no good. Actually it looks like it just won't work at all on Windows 10 (which is what I have) because of a dirty hack Microsoft used with some DLLs that don't actually exist to make it look like they exist. And it looks like this is affecting all of the other similar projects like cx_Freeze and py2exe.

Yeah I'm pretty sure Butt is the simpler option here.

I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those rap guys' girlfriends.

#15 2017-04-29 02:10:34

ChiraBeats
Administrator
PM Website

Seriously.

To make it a bit easier for butt users, here's the settings you need to use:

http://imgur.com/a/3IvwY

#16 2017-05-09 02:33:22

ChiraBeats
Administrator
PM Website

Alright, I have some unfortunate news.

I've almost completely scrapped this project in its current form.

Now for some better news.

I came up with something even better. I've made something that'll let us stream from the browser. No downloads, no nothing. Just go to the streaming page, click a button, and you're streaming. Right now as I type it works 90%. Why only 90%? Well, there's a weird bug I'm tracking down. Streaming works, but for some reason everything is sounding slow-mo.

Oh you know what screw me I know exactly what the problem is. Be right back.

#17 2017-05-09 02:50:51

ChiraBeats
Administrator
PM Website

Alright it works. Going to make it nice and pretty and then I'll make a big ol announcement topic because holy crap this is significant. Seriously, I could (and probably will, I've always wanted this site to be a gift to the entire cardiophile community, not just my own users and friends) even make an EasyStreamer™ for HBP with this pretty easily. Just two or three small tweaks is all it would take.

That said, it's not without its flaws. It's slow. I could use some help making it go super speedy. But I'm typing this from my (relatively recent) laptop right now and it works just fine. Mobile devices and older laptops might still be better off using a dedicated streaming app like butt or BroadcastMyself or KoalaSAN or whatever. I guess we'll just have to see. :)

Holy crap I haven't been this hyped in a while.

Board footer