Heart2Heart

Serving the cardiophile community since 2016.

You are not logged in.

There is a small ad here.
We'd love you forever if you would donate or whitelist our site/disable your adblocker.

#1 2017-05-19 03:26:37

Diff
Files: 139
PM

Phobias

So I'm sitting here playing SOMA at night in the dark and it got me thinking, what kind of phobias or fears do you guys have? The dark, heights, spiders, being alone, stuff like that. And if you have a phobia do you know how it got started, or do you have any stories related to it?

I've told my story about my now-dead fear of hospitals/doctors in general, but I've still got a handful of other fears to my name. Probably the most interesting/weirdest is mirrors in the dark. I'm 1000% comfortable around mirrors, I'm 1000% comfortable in the dark, but mirrors in low light conditions freak my out a bit. I think I must have had some sort of nightmare with that when I was a kid because I've got a vivid scenario involving the low light turning blood red and all doors and other escape routes being slammed shut that comes to mind every time I'm around mirrors in the dim light. Other than that I've got heights that's fading a bit and... I think that's it.

#2 2017-05-19 12:42:20

shyboy1123
Files: 0
PM

Re: Phobias

The biggest phobia I have are snakes.

I hate them. Yes, I understand they are a vital part of the ecosystem and have every right to live on this planet as we do. I won't kill them, but there's nothing stopping me from screaming and running the other direction like a 5 year old child.

#3 2017-05-19 17:41:39

Kay-Ember
Files: 9
PM

Centipedes. Dear Lord centipedes.

#4 2017-05-20 21:38:06

orang_utan_dean
Files: 1
PM

When I was knee high to a grasshopper, I was playing in the woods behind my house one day when I stumbled (quite literally) upon a wasps nest in the earth.  As you can imagine they didn't take too kindly to having the ground above their home stomped on and I was chased by a small swarm of them...I remember quite distinctly clawing a couple of them out of my hair as they were caught in it and I was stung multiple times.  I'm still very wary indeed around them - I can just about cope with them being in the same room as me if there's plenty of space, but if I'm in an enclosed area or around any sort of food/drink I'm still capable of having quite a meltdown!

I've also had lifelong hearing problems & all the different infections and things I've had over the years has had a bit of a lasting effect on my sense of balance, with the occasional bout of vertigo not helping matters either.  That means I'm not too fond of heights, although if I'm strapped in somewhere and my feet are on firm ground then I'm usually alright, but I absolutely cannot abide anything shaking or rocking underneath my feet when I'm up in the air (even just one step up on a shaky ladder is enough to freak me out).

Also a very weird thing, which I haven't yet ascribed a reason to but ALWAYS creeps me out, are those cardboard celebrity face/head cut-outs you can buy for parties and suchlike, which you either use by wearing them with an elastic attachment or attaching them to a stick.  Someone heard about this in one of the office jobs I've done during my lifetime and thought it funny to bring a David Hasselhoff one in to see if was actually true or not.  The resulting scream actually brought the office to a complete standstill...not too long after that I decided to part ways with that particular set of colleagues!!  :lol:

#5 2017-05-22 17:51:51

argie
No avatar found
Files: 6
PM

I have phobia to spiders, toads and frogs, bees and wasps. I suffer of vertigo too.
I'm done trying to solve this, I decided just to deal with it and get away from them, when I can.

Last edited by argie (2017-05-22 17:52:13)

#6 2017-05-24 20:02:02

Deleted user #402

i dont have any phobias

#7 2017-05-25 09:47:27

Wh3r3sth3l0ve
No avatar found
PM

I don't like bugs in general but moths is my phobia. I know that they're just butterflies but still they creep my out

#8 2017-05-25 11:40:22

paperpenguin
Files: 3
PM

Insects. Slightly less of a fear and more of a blind irrational hatred. Anything that flies near, or God help it, lands on me will be pounded into the nearest flat surface. Then, thus flattened, it'll be pounded once more for good measure.

I have to touch up the paint on my walls so often, it's not even funny.

I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those rap guys' girlfriends.

#9 2017-05-27 09:49:28

Ricadams
PM

As a kid, I used to be sacred of dogs, but I've managed to overcome that phobia. However, the one phobia I have that's gotten worse over the years is wasps. I tend to freak out whenever one gets into the office.

This user has chosen to protect their privacy by hiding their posts from non-members. To see everything Heart2Heart has to offer, you can register for a free account here!

This user has chosen to protect their privacy by hiding their posts from non-members. To see everything Heart2Heart has to offer, you can register for a free account here!

#12 2018-04-13 01:39:11

Bradycardialady
No avatar found
Files: 1
PM

Driving across bridges over Open Water. Of course, when I moved to New Orleans I got broke of that, because two of the longest bridges in the United States are there and you pretty much can't get from point A to point B without driving over Deepwater

#13 2018-04-13 03:27:26

monkey
Files: 4
PM

I'm not afflicted with any phobias, but I don't do well with heights. As long as I'm on a platform I feel is stable, I'm OK (like being in a tall building or on top of a big hill or whatever). On something like a stepladder or scaffolding...nope.

#14 2018-04-17 04:12:40

bakerstbabe221
Files: 15
PM

For me:

Genuine phobias: Claustrophobia, Achluophobia, Trypophobia (I realize most consider this more of an extreme discomfort, but then why is it called a phobia?)
Fears: spiders, most insects (excluding ants and fireflies, including butterflies), worms, roller coasters, (fake) haunted houses, dying, suffocating, drowning (but I love the water and swimming), being alone for too long

"I should have fitted you with a cardiograph." -Eurus Holmes, The Final Problem (4x03)

#15 2018-04-17 15:20:46

miguel90
Files: 65
PM Website

phobias comes from the Greek god fobos son of the god of war ares, phobia means fear in greek, hi  Bakerstbabe221  I hope I have clarified your doubt your Friend miguel.

#16 2018-04-17 15:27:05

miguel90
Files: 65
PM Website

I am afraid of  water, as a child about 5 years old, in kindergarten I got into a very deep swimming pool , I almost choked, a teacher took me out, a teacher actually touched my chest and told me my heart was very fast , I was really scared, this time I'm very afraid of getting into deep swimming pools, but I've been losing my fear little by little

Last edited by miguel90 (2018-04-17 15:33:05)

#17 2018-04-21 06:04:43

kit_kat
No avatar found
PM

Snakes, the dark, thunder, and throwing up. Oh wait, I forgot old school Godzilla. American Godzilla is just silly :P

Don't even trip dawg

Board footer