Heart2Heart

Serving the cardiophile community since 2016.

You are not logged in.

There is a small ad here.
We'd love you forever if you would donate or whitelist our site/disable your adblocker.

#1 2017-11-05 00:31:15

ChiraBeats
Administrator
Files: 43
PM Website

Chat revamped, styles renamed

Alright got a lot done on the site today (and the past few days) and I'm pretty happy about it!

First things first, let's get the more boring stuff out of the way.

Chat Server Improvements

One of the most major changes was to some backend stuff on the chat server. It's now *much* more secure, and a lot of things were tweaked and added to make other changes and features run along much more smoothly.

Speaking of running more smoothly, our beloved (and unreliable) chat bot Patti has been replaced with a *much* more robust and speedy system. We shouldn't get any more breakages with users not showing up when they're in the chat.
I never was able to figure out what was wrong with Patti, but oh well.

One small user-facing change here is that the "Chat" link in the nav bar now shows how many users are in the chat.

Styles Shifted Around

One small stylistic change, smilies are now 24x24 instead of 16x16. I think it makes them a lot easier to see, what do you guys think? smile.png

I've shifted around the styles a bit. I've officially removed the old dark style, czar_dark, and migrated everyone over to the new dark style, czarnobyl.

And since the names of the themes are a handful to type out or remember, I've gone ahead and changed those, too. Since the light theme's name "Czarna Szabla" is Polish for "Black Saber", that theme is now Saber. I renamed the dark theme from Czarnobyl to Moon.

The 11 users who were still on the old dark theme should notice a handful of style improvements, particularly on your phones and *definitely* in the chat room.

Which brings us to the most visible part of this chunk of updates:

Site Chat Revamped

The face of the chat has been nearly completely ripped off and pasted back together. There are too many big and tiny changes to list, so instead I'm just going to post a before and after shot.

Before:

MpOKbJk.png

And after:

qGhbSTP.png

Biggest change is that the chat's realized it's not stuck in the 00s anymore. The text is much less dense and easier to read, and the skeleton propping it up has been changed to make it a bit more accommodating to mobile users.

But there's more than just visual/layout changes here, there's also a handful of new features.

Probably the biggest one is the "User is typing..." notifications. The basic framework for this has been completed for quite a while, it needed just a little extra work and polish. With that finished up, it's now ready to go!

And the other major feature is smilies. Text smilies like :D are now properly converted into their image versions like big_smile.png. This has been complete for a while now, but had some major "gotchas" that prevented them from actually being useful. With some research and work, they're now fully functional!

Besides that, there's a bunch of smaller features.

• Chat layout reacts to mobile devices and makes room without hiding or squeezing hardly anything.

• Less important status messages are now visibly less important.

• The chat now has timestamps.

All in all, a good amount of work got done and the chat has benefited greatly from it. I hope you all get the chance to try it out soon! And as always, let me know if there's anything out of place!

Board footer