Heart2Heart

Serving the cardiophile community since 2016.

You are not logged in.

There is a small ad here.
We'd love you forever if you would donate or whitelist our site/disable your adblocker.

#1 2017-11-13 16:06:50

Jasontye
Files: 29
PM

Posting files

I’ve tried multiple times to post files. They never finish even short ones a minute long!?

A beautiful woman’s heart should be listened to.

#2 2017-11-13 17:07:07

ChiraBeats
Administrator
Files: 43
PM Website

Re: Posting files

Hi there Jasontye! Could you clarify what you mean by the files not "finishing"? Do they not finish uploading?

It might just need a little more time, how long have you waited for these files to finish?

Lots of internet service providers offer *much* slower upload speeds than download speeds for various reasons, so even if you have a very fast internet connection uploading files can take time.

#3 2017-11-14 02:18:14

Jasontye
PM

Video files! Less than a minute and after an hour still have not posted! Also the site is glitchy. When the video has compressed and you answer what’s in it and gender etc, soon as I click on these question it keeps taking me back to choose file selection. I already chose a file! Then I have to start over again.

#4 2017-11-14 02:42:57

ChiraBeats
Administrator
PM Website

Jasontye wrote:

Video files! Less than a minute and after an hour still have not posted!

How large are these video files? And could you post your results from speedtest.net? Does uploading to other sites work?

Jasontye wrote:

When the video has compressed

I don't understand what you mean here. Compression takes place much later in the upload process.

Jasontye wrote:

soon as I click on these question it keeps taking me back to choose file selection.

Does it take you back as soon as you click on the questions or when you click the "Upload a file" button? And by "choose file selection" do you mean the dialog where it wants you to pick a file?

At any point do you get to see this spinning upload indicator?

spinner.png

EDIT: Wait a minute. "Compressing video", are you on an iOS device? Hold on let me see if I can't reproduce this after all.

EDIT: I see what you mean with iOS's "select a file" pop up coming back when you click on another input. This doesn't happen on other devices and until I can get my hands on a Macbook or something I don't know if I can debug this. As far as I can tell from just looking at the surface, iOS seems to be treating every single input as if it were the file selection button.

The upload process works fine though. If you tap outside the popup it should disappear.

EDIT: Just in case anyone might have a clue of what iOS is trying to pull here, it seems that it's treating every input in the form as identical to the very first visible (not hidden) input in the form. Idk how much further I can dig into this without a Macbook though.

Last edited by ChiraBeats (2017-11-14 03:20:44)

#5 2017-11-14 03:25:08

ChiraBeats
Administrator
PM Website

This bug has been fixed, thank you for reporting it. The short version is, there was some completely normal code that Safari totally flipped out about. Every other browser handled it just fine, but Safari would do exactly what you saw, popping up the input dialog everywhere.

The technical side of it is, there was a label wrapped around the form. It didn't have a "for" attribute set, and iOS automatically (and incorrectly) assumed it belonged to the first visible input inside of it. This has been removed and Safari on iOS now handles the upload page properly.

Let me know if you have any other issues!

Last edited by ChiraBeats (2017-11-14 03:25:35)

#6 2017-11-15 21:44:57

Jasontye
PM

It seems you fixed it!??
I posted a short video! Tried a long 56 minute ASMR but that didn’t fly! Most likely way too big. I would not expect smaller sites to digest such a large file. Will make smaller 5 -10 minutes, thanks!

#7 2017-11-15 22:27:04

ChiraBeats
Administrator
PM Website

Well that's weird, I haven't actually changed anything yet. I narrowed down where your past uploads were going wrong and stuffed the area full of informational logging to be able to see exactly where it was going wrong, but I haven't made any functional changes to the way uploads are handled.

In any case, longer uploads should be fine as long as they stay under 512MiB. Past 512MiB the forums will refuse to accept it, but anything under will work just fine normally.

As far as your longer upload, from the new logging I added it looks like the upload of the longer file was cancelled before it could be completed. It's normal for bigger files to take quite a while to upload, looks like it was working just fine but needed a little more time to pull the file off your device. It's normal for ISPs and cell providers to seriously neuter upload speeds while giving you decent download speeds. It's not good, but it's normal. I'll see what I can do about getting some sort of progress bar put in so you can see how far along the process is to help ease that.

Board footer