Heart2Heart

Serving the cardiophile community since 2016.

You are not logged in.

There is a small ad here.
We'd love you forever if you would donate or whitelist our site/disable your adblocker.

#1 2021-02-23 21:17:28

Buglia
No avatar found
Files: 0
PM

I was born with a heart condition - I have a mechanical valve now

Hi everyone. I am new here and I wanted to share my story on how I was born with a heart condition. I was born with a bicuspid aortic valve. I had my first operation at four months old. Then 4, then 8. I had my first open heart at 19 and my last open heart was when I was 22 in March 2020. It should be my last. My aortic valve was finally replaced with a mechanical valve and it now ticks like a clock. That part is hard to get on audio but I’m working on that. It does sound a bit different than your average heart and I like it. I am much stronger now and so it my heart! I’ve delt with all things cardiology for my whole life and I think it’s interesting to find a community of people who find comfort in the sound of a heart beat. Thanks for reading my story!

#2 2021-02-26 23:48:01

NitraxFox
No avatar found
PM

Re: I was born with a heart condition - I have a mechanical valve now

Interesting, not heard of this being done before. How would you describe the change in sound caused by the valve replacement?

#3 2021-02-27 00:42:06

Buglia
No avatar found
PM

It is common amongst patient’s with valve issues. It has changed it some. I have always had a murmur and what they call a “click” which is faint. I still have my murmur which has calmed down a lot. More than anything I tick like a clock and the tone of it can change. When I’m anxious or mad it is loud and fast and others can hear it in a room. It tends to be deeper and sort of thumps during intense emotions. It is more quiet when I am calm and sounds more like when two pebbles hit each other under water most of the time..that’s the only thing I can compare it to other than a clock. It’s high pitch yet muffled sounding. It’s doesn’t overwhelm my entire heart beat though.

#4 2021-03-13 16:00:46

Deleted user #158

That's very interesting. Hopefully you're able to do most things you're wanting to do with the mechanical valve. I have a murmur myself, but not to the degree that I would need valve replacement (at least hopefully not for awhile).

It would be interesting to see what it sounds like.

#5 2021-03-31 04:58:07

MAZZ0Linker
Files: 1
PM

Oh ho! I recognize that story... and believe I'm subscribed to you on youtube? (I'm MAZZ0Murder there). Assuming this is true, then your heart is remarkable and beyond compare. Pretty much have to hear it (WITHOUT a stethoscope) to believe it!

It couldn't have been fun going through all those surgeries. I can't imagine two open-hearts is common, especially at a younger age, so I'm glad your heart made it through and will hope it continues to do so for a long long time. And I am eternally grateful that you share it and your story! :heart:

*Witty comment*

Board footer