Heart2Heart

Serving the cardiophile community since 2016.

You are not logged in.

There is a small ad here.
We'd love you forever if you would donate or whitelist our site/disable your adblocker.

#1 2021-05-01 13:08:43

hiyasynthgirl
No avatar found
Files: 45
PM

Heart rate and music perception

Has anyone else here ever noticed a correlation between heart rate and the perceived speed of music  -- specifically, that music sounds slower when your heart rate is higher? I first noticed this when I listened to my work playlist while exercising and the first song sounded unusually slow. Similarly, I've found that songs that sound reasonably brisk while I'm working out feel frenetically fast when I'm not.

Does anyone else experienced this, and do you think it's heart rate per se that causes it or some other factor?

I'm not a real doctor, but I am a real nerd, I am an actual nerd

#2 2021-05-03 05:45:44

Diff
Files: 139
PM

Re: Heart rate and music perception

Haven't noticed that, but I haven't been paying attention either. Will have to start paying attention now though. I'm not sure if it's really linked to heart rate though or just generally how "alert" you are at the moment. Like bullet-time-like effects are real, if you've got adrenaline pumping through your veins you do end up perceiving things slower. Maybe this is just a gentler extension of that extreme?

#3 2021-05-03 21:21:32

hiyasynthgirl
No avatar found
PM

I saw a scientific press release about the bullet-time effect you spoke of, but I haven't read the paper yet. I think you're quite right.

#4 2021-06-17 04:00:13

miguel004
Files: 57
PM Website

I read that music influences physical performance during exercise, dilating the veins, making the heart pump more efficiently and makes the body achieve more resistance to exercise, I like rock music, heavy metal, Then you can imagine how my heart will go, that music is super fast in its rhythms, my musical groups are metallica, apocalyptic.

#5 2021-06-17 04:16:41

miguel004
Files: 57
PM Website

I give you articles about the influence of music on the heartbeat in case you are interested in delving deeper into the subject  https://consumer.healthday.com/circulat … 28366.html
https://www.health.harvard.edu/heart-he … your-heart

#6 2021-06-17 20:59:30

hiyasynthgirl
No avatar found
PM

@miguel004 Thanks for the resources. What I was curious about, though, was the inverse effect.

This user has chosen to protect their privacy by hiding their posts from non-members. To see everything Heart2Heart has to offer, you can register for a free account here!

Board footer