Heart2Heart

Serving the cardiophile community since 2016.

You are not logged in.

There is a small ad here.
We'd love you forever if you would donate or whitelist our site/disable your adblocker.

#1 2018-07-24 21:34:30

Diff
Files: 139
PM

Found the source on that one vintage-looking gifset today

If you've been on Tumblr for any length of time you've probably seen these two gifs:

40s dog heart kinda just quivering there not really doing anything

40s dog heart beating and it's actually kinda freaky like is that part supposed to be doing that there jeez

Just stumbled across the source video for these today. Totally not what I was expecting.

https://archive.org/details/Experime1940

It's a 1940s Soviet experiment on keeping decapitated dogs alive. They were proving a point that because they could keep organs like that heart alive, they could probably pull it off with just heads. And they did. And it's pretty freaky. But at the beginning of the video before that, they had a beating heart hanging from some tubing and stuff.

Last edited by Diff (2018-07-24 21:43:07)

#2 2018-07-31 07:58:10

PineMarten
Files: 1
PM

Re: Found the source on that one vintage-looking gifset today

Those were some gruesome experiments. I was a bit sceptical about the "dog heads" part but yeah, there are ways to keep a heart beating outside a body. In research, there's something called the Langendorff heart technique, which enabled researchers to experiment on the heart without the animal.

#3 2018-07-31 15:23:06

Diff
Files: 139
PM

Re: Found the source on that one vintage-looking gifset today

After watching the whole thing I'm a bit skeptical about bits of it myself. Like apparently they left the dog dead there for 10 minutes before attempting to revive it, I'm no doctor but I'm pretty sure 10 minutes of oxygen deprivation to the brain would cause some permanent damage, but the dog in the video apparently lived on for years just fine.

Board footer