Heart2Heart

Serving the cardiophile community since 2016.

You are not logged in.

There is a small ad here.
We'd love you forever if you would donate or whitelist our site/disable your adblocker.

#1 2017-04-07 16:10:00

Diff
Files: 139
PM

it's all a conspiracy by Big Bass

You guys ever been somewhere where the bass kicks were powerful enough that you could feel it blast through your chest? Feels so weird and satisfying. Like having your heart skip a beat without needing to nearly kill yourself to do it. :P Although the downside here is usually hearing loss which is still not great.

I used to be in the drumline in high school and if we weren't toning things down you could definitely feel it.

#2 2017-04-09 14:33:38

T145
No avatar found
Files: 0
PM

Re: it's all a conspiracy by Big Bass

I don't mind it much, but once it gets past a certain point, it starts making my lungs feel weird, which isn't that much of a pleasant sensation, particularly if you have asthma. :P

Diff wrote:

Although the downside here is usually hearing loss which is still not great.

Evidently you need to find something at a frequency that is high enough to be felt, but low enough so that you can deliver that effect with minimal excess noise. :P

#3 2017-04-09 18:21:00

Diff
PM

Yeah, some of them anyway. Older apps (Cardiograph isn't one of them) don't know how to handle being told "no" and will crash. But there are plenty of invasive things that can be done without requesting any special permissions. For example, accessing the internet. Just that can give you a very rough location, I think you can access cell tower info without any special permissions and that'll get you a pretty usable location, I believe you can see what apps are transferring data and how much without any permissions. You can see whether or not an app has access to personally identifying info, but you can't disallow them from taking it, and of course without the ability to restrict internet access it can all be broadcast to the world.

T145 wrote:

Alternatively, you may be able to get away with using something like soundwire (costs money) to stream the sound to a computer to record, at which point, you wouldn't have the size limit.

Or any of those apps that broadcast the mic through your headphones, just hook it up to your PC over bluetooth and you're set. That's what I've been doing for skype on my PC since the skype app is hot garbage.

#4 2017-04-11 14:42:22

T145
No avatar found
PM

Diff wrote:

Yeah, some of them anyway. Older apps (Cardiograph isn't one of them) don't know how to handle being told "no" and will crash. But there are plenty of invasive things that can be done without requesting any special permissions. For example, accessing the internet. Just that can give you a very rough location, I think you can access cell tower info without any special permissions and that'll get you a pretty usable location, I believe you can see what apps are transferring data and how much without any permissions. You can see whether or not an app has access to personally identifying info, but you can't disallow them from taking it, and of course without the ability to restrict internet access it can all be broadcast to the world.

T145 wrote:

Alternatively, you may be able to get away with using something like soundwire (costs money) to stream the sound to a computer to record, at which point, you wouldn't have the size limit.

Or any of those apps that broadcast the mic through your headphones, just hook it up to your PC over bluetooth and you're set. That's what I've been doing for skype on my PC since the skype app is hot garbage.

I think you may posted to the wrong thread. :P

#5 2017-04-23 12:41:58

Diff
PM

T145 wrote:

I don't mind it much, but once it gets past a certain point, it starts making my lungs feel weird, which isn't that much of a pleasant sensation, particularly if you have asthma. :P

Diff wrote:

Although the downside here is usually hearing loss which is still not great.

Evidently you need to find something at a frequency that is high enough to be felt, but low enough so that you can deliver that effect with minimal excess noise. :P

How about infrasonics? Is that a thing? Seems like you'd need a special fancy speaker to do that forcefully enough to be physical. Would be cool to try and play someone's heartbeat on that though.

#6 2017-04-23 13:42:06

T145
No avatar found
PM

Diff wrote:

How about infrasonics? Is that a thing? Seems like you'd need a special fancy speaker to do that forcefully enough to be physical. Would be cool to try and play someone's heartbeat on that though.

They are likely a thing, and as interesting as that might be, you'd likely end up causing severe hearing damage. :p

#7 2017-04-23 14:12:42

Diff
PM

nah nah it's fine you just need earplugs and noise cancelling headphones on top of those trustme I definitely know what I'm talking about.

#8 2017-04-25 16:11:46

T145
No avatar found
PM

Diff wrote:

nah nah it's fine you just need earplugs and noise cancelling headphones on top of those trustme I definitely know what I'm talking about.

Noise cancelling headpgones might work, though it's arguable whether they can generate the amplitude to counteract the infrasonics enough to prevent hearing damage, or can generate enough amplitude in one direction to cancel the infrasonics sufficiently and not destroy your ears doing so. :P

#9 2017-04-28 16:53:50

Diff
PM

Do infrasonics actually impact hearing? Seems kind of counterintuitive at least if something you can't hear can still damage your hearing.

#10 2017-04-30 15:02:13

T145
No avatar found
PM

Diff wrote:

Do infrasonics actually impact hearing? Seems kind of counterintuitive at least if something you can't hear can still damage your hearing.

Even if you can't hear it, the sound is still there. :P It's much the same way with vision. You can blind someone with an IR/UV laser, even if they can't see it. It's more dangerous if you're welding, since your pupils don't react to something that they can't see. :p

#11 2017-04-30 15:25:30

Diff
PM

Yeah, that makes sense. Still I thought hearing damage was mostly caused by the tiny hairs in your ear being overwhelmed and dying. Since they really only respond to specific frequencies of sounds do they still react and die off from frequencies outside any of their ranges? With eyes at least, UV/IR light is still absorbed whether or not the cells respond to it, does the same go for ears?

#12 2017-04-30 19:12:53

Diff
PM

Although as I've been thinking about it

even if the hairs don't respond, your eardrum vibrates in response to everything, doesn't it? So you could damage that without hearing a thing.

#13 2017-05-02 12:07:54

T145
No avatar found
PM

Diff wrote:

Yeah, that makes sense. Still I thought hearing damage was mostly caused by the tiny hairs in your ear being overwhelmed and dying. Since they really only respond to specific frequencies of sounds do they still react and die off from frequencies outside any of their ranges? With eyes at least, UV/IR light is still absorbed whether or not the cells respond to it, does the same go for ears?

Yup, though the hair cells aren't that sensitive to frequencies out of hearing range. They don't usually die off if they hear something outside their response frequency ranges, but a loud enough sound would cause them to die off from trauma regardless of whether the cells can detect the sound or not. :P Then again, a sound beyond a certain volume becomes little more than a shockwave, so take that as you will. :P

Diff wrote:

Although as I've been thinking about it

even if the hairs don't respond, your eardrum vibrates in response to everything, doesn't it? So you could damage that without hearing a thing.

Yes. You could also damage other things that take part in hearing without anything being interpreted as sound. :p

#14 2017-05-03 12:28:52

Diff
PM

T145 wrote:

Yup, though the hair cells aren't that sensitive to frequencies out of hearing range. They don't usually die off if they hear something outside their response frequency ranges, but a loud enough sound would cause them to die off from trauma regardless of whether the cells can detect the sound or not. :P Then again, a sound beyond a certain volume becomes little more than a shockwave, so take that as you will. :P

True, and it definitely doesn't take a shockwave to do the trick. Kinda makes me wonder what it would take though, outside of big bass drums in high school and huge strings of speakers at concerts I don't think I've ever felt it.

Board footer