Heart2Heart

Serving the cardiophile community since 2016.

You are not logged in.

There is a small ad here.
We'd love you forever if you would donate or whitelist our site/disable your adblocker.

#1 2017-02-24 01:19:54

Deleted user #29

Stethoscopes!

*How many stethoscopes do you own? What kinds or brands? Any favorites you have or any you would recommend for new and/or experienced shoppers?

I've currently got three in my collection. Two I got from Walmart, both of which are Sprague steths I believe. One is a single head diaphragm and the other is a deal-head. Pretty nice quality for cheap store bought steths! I always used the single head for ages to record files. Last year though I got a burgundy Littmann 3M 3200 Electronic Stethoscope. Produces nice clear thumpy sounds with audio filters to simulate the bell, diaphragm or a mix setting. It also records 30 second clips too and has Bluetooth so you can transfer the saved files to your PC.

That is about it in my collection. I've been curious about other models and brands but I'm unsure on whats good. >.<

#2 2017-02-24 03:54:40

acardiophileblog
Files: 18
PM

Re: Stethoscopes!

all i have are cut up ones right now.

i recommend anything below 100. don't even bother with littmann despite the quality - they are priced due to the name above all else. and especially do not get electronic steths. there's a reason they're looked down on in the medical world - they're somehow less reliable and worse than doctors are. (actually, maybe not). in fact, if you get a doctor with an electronic steth, find someone else. i guarantee you're not hearing abnormal sounds with that. you can barely hear the regular sound. they probably filter out abnormal sounds anyways.

#3 2017-02-24 04:39:42

paperpenguin
Files: 3
PM

My "daily driver" is the HS-30K:

68762-7251285.jpg

At $20/19€, it's great value. Sounds pretty decent, looks serious, yet is cheap enough to buy just to cut up for a stethmic rig.

Other than this one, I also have a standard single-head cheapie I bought for the hell of it, and a cut-up HS-30K which is now a perma-stethmic.

I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those rap guys' girlfriends.

#4 2017-02-24 07:18:11

Deleted user #29

acardiophileblog wrote:

all i have are cut up ones right now.

i recommend anything below 100. don't even bother with littmann despite the quality - they are priced due to the name above all else. and especially do not get electronic steths. there's a reason they're looked down on in the medical world - they're somehow less reliable and worse than doctors are. (actually, maybe not). in fact, if you get a doctor with an electronic steth, find someone else. i guarantee you're not hearing abnormal sounds with that. you can barely hear the regular sound. they probably filter out abnormal sounds anyways.

Yeah I agree with ya with Littmann being overpriced and I hear some models are okay, others not so much. The electronic steth itself really feels much different from your traditional steth. It can still pick up murmurs but beings it electronic the feeling of the filtered audio sticks through when using it. It can turn some of the traditional crisp sounds into loud thumps and that was a let down. Very expensive when I got it, still its, but its handy being able to amplify some sounds, despite it being filtered. Kinda wishy-washy about how I feel about it, still prefer traditional stethoscopes over it lol.

#5 2017-02-24 12:16:53

Mumford
Files: 2
PM

I have five stethoscopes right now. Two spragues, one cheapy CVS brand one, a cheap AllHeart one, and my favorite/go to is my AllHeart cardiology stethoscope. For the price, it's absolutely wonderful and I love the weight of the chest piece.

#6 2017-02-25 02:14:41

Deleted user #158

Five.

Graham-Field/Labtron Ford-Bowles type
MDF Sprague-Rappaport
Littmann Cardiology III
Welch Allyn Harvey DLX
Thinklabs ds32A

#7 2017-02-25 03:18:38

Kay-Ember
Files: 9
PM

Just a little cheap one I got from the local CVS. But it serves its purpous.

#8 2017-02-25 20:19:29

DaJu
Files: 0
PM

I've got an el cheapo Sprague-Rappaport and a Contec CMS-VESD electronic steth in my collection that I both brought on eBay.

My Sprague-Rappaport is my daily listener though. :)

#9 2017-02-27 20:07:15

Deleted user #61

I have 20 stethoscopes

1)    Phillips Electronic, Model M4530A
2)    Timescope; Mabis, Nurse Mates
3)    Cheapie from Walgreens
4)    DRG Puretone Traditional
5)    GRX Ultrascope
6)    Vintage stethoscope; “Marshal” from Taiwan
7)    Vintage Fetoscope; no markings
8)    Vintage stethoscope “MEDICS INST. CORP.” from Brooklyn NY
9)    Sprague
10)    Vintage stethoscope with no marking: the chest piece is cone shaped
11)    Vintage stethoscope with no marking: the chest piece is cup shaped
12)    Automotive stethoscope from Advanced Auto
13)    Cheapie stethoscope that I turned into a automotive stethoscope
14)    Training stethoscope
15)    Medasonics ultrasound stethoscope; 5mhz; Model BF4B
16)    Littmann Classic II S.E
17)    Master Cardiology type
18)    Cardiology III type
19)    Master Classic type
20)    Panscope
21)    Manual Blood Pressure Cuff from CVS

#10 2017-03-01 18:12:52

snowyheartbeat
No avatar found
Files: 1
PM

I had one that I used with a past partner, it was red and a little cheap (I don't remember the brand, I think it was prestige medical) but it worked. I left it over at his place when we broke up and told him just to throw any of my stuff out, forgetting it was over there. :rolleyes: My new partner is a nursing student, though, and has a stethoscope for school (obviously) and he's let me use it once on him without me asking. I think that one is a littmann cardiology III or something, I just know that it was NOT cheap.

#11 2017-03-08 07:57:32

heartbeat1
No avatar found
PM

I've got about 20 steths so far and building.....My favourite is  a dual tube 1950's/60's one with diaphragm on the side and bell on the end, I use it all the time on my GF and It produces crystal clear sounds. Also its been well used by its last doctor owner and I always wonder how many hearts its listened to and how many chests its been used on...

#12 2017-03-09 12:29:53

Fluffle
No avatar found
PM

1. cheap steth that is attached to a blood pressure cuff
2. a cheap singlehead one
3. a more or less selfmade one with an old singlehead chestpiece where you can attach 2 tubes (so i use it like a "teaching stethoscope")
4. a unknown brand stethoscope which looks like a cheap dual head without rubber ring or anything but it has a much smoother finish, a pretty small bell and a black diaphragm. sound quality is extremely good.
5. a littmann classic II se
6. and a mdf pulse time

#13 2017-03-09 21:27:29

Fbhbeat
PM

A single head cheapie.  It works.

Bass 'n' Heartbeats

#14 2017-03-14 23:34:50

Stethmeplease
Files: 1
PM

i own 6 stethoscopes:

A Littman Classic III
A Littman lightweight
A Walgreens Sprague (i use this for recording)
A Walmart stethoscope
A stethoscope attached to a blood pressure cuff
and just a regular  one with a double sided chest piece

P.S
I also have a Handheld EKG and a Doppler both of witch are really fun to use

#15 2017-03-15 09:59:01

Wh3r3sth3l0ve
No avatar found
PM

1. No named Russian dualhead steth, not very loud but gives clear sounds.
2. Cheap singlehead s*** that doesn't even work because of head falling off...
3. My favorite dualhead MDF. Clear sound, very comfy.
4. Cheap two-person dualhead with the head from no.1 cause the standard one gave absolutely no sound at all.

My dream Steths are Littman classic 3 and Rappaport. Also an electronic steth would be fun ;)

#16 2017-03-15 12:35:17

Stethaddict
No avatar found
Files: 3
PM

I've got a few:

Littmann Cardio IV - which I think is outstanding regardless of the price.
Littmann Cardio III - which I think the same as above but not as good as the IV.
Cheap Sprague - which is in the house somewhere.....!
Dual- head given to me by a friend of a friend - my first steth obtained by telling an inordinately unbelievable story. Which she believed. Now used for recording/sharing via a headset mic.
Jabes electronic steth - pretty, expensive, promised me the earth and is actually rubbish. Really, don't buy one.

There are no facts. There is no truth. Just data to be manipulated.

#17 2017-03-15 18:56:43

Deleted user #402

Just one its a basic steth i bought at walgreens for 10 dollars 16 years ago :cool:

#18 2017-03-27 09:39:52

Thumper9393
PM

I have 16 (and a few others that are broken or don't work very well). About half of them are the common cheaper models, but two of them are Littmann (Cardiology III and Lightweight II). And I've also got a few unusual models like the Ford stethoscope and a CardioSprague :)

#19 2017-03-27 10:20:40

Excelsior2007
No avatar found
PM

At the moment, none, but when I was much younger during the early years of my heart fascination, I did have a plastic one that worked, and I used to listen to my friends' hearts with. Nowadays though, I prefer listening with a mic, or my favourite, which is ear-stething.

#20 2017-03-27 18:59:29

aetcranium
PM

I've got, well, a few:

• S+K/ Welch Allyn Duophon x2 (1 is by S+K, the other by Welch Allyn)

• Welch Allyn Harvey Elite

• Welch Allyn Harvey DLX (Dual Head Version)

• HP Rappaport Sprague x2. One is complete but the other is lacking the second diaphragm and third bell.

• Generic Sprague (Prestige Medical)

• Riester Ri-Rap

• Riester Tri-star

• KaWe Planet

• KaWe Multiphon

• Haselmeier Supraphon

• Haselmeier Supraphon S

• Marshall Ford-Bowles

• Cardiosonics Littmann Stethoscope (the original Littmann, before 3M took over the brand name. Mine still has its original receipt from 1964!)

• Littmann Classic x2

• Littmann Classic II

• Littmann Classic II SE x2

• Littmann Classic II Pediatric

• Littmann Master Cardiology

• Littmann Cardiology III x2

• Littmann Master Classic II

Last edited by aetcranium (2017-03-27 19:01:01)

Board footer