Heart2Heart

Serving the cardiophile community since 2016.

You are not logged in.

There is a small ad here.
We'd love you forever if you would donate or whitelist our site/disable your adblocker.

#1 2017-02-25 11:51:01

Diff
Files: 139
PM

What's up?

What's going on? What's new with you?

Any of you guys heard of the newsboys? I've never heard of them before but they're having a concert near me and I'm going to be working at it.

#2 2017-02-25 18:20:07

Kay-Ember
Files: 9
PM

Re: What's up?

Trying to learn Adobe After Effects to make some heart gifs like "the pros" on HBP and Tumblr. Got work later on this evening.

#3 2017-02-25 18:41:37

Diff
PM

I've been wanting to try some of that myself, although with Blender and GIMP instead of anything like After Effects and Photoshop. Even though I have a copy of them and I'm currently being forced to pay for it monthly for another year. They really don't make it clear how their dumb subscription model works. Why can't they just keep the flat $X and you get that version forever? I liked that, it worked. I can't afford to keep a monthly subscription I'll use for 4 months then won't for another year, especially since they force you into paying for a whole year at a time, which they don't make clear AT ALL.

Anyway yeah sounds cool, can't wait to see what you do.

Last edited by Diff (2017-02-25 18:42:00)

#4 2017-02-26 12:26:58

T145
No avatar found
Files: 0
PM

Diff wrote:

I've been wanting to try some of that myself, although with Blender and GIMP instead of anything like After Effects and Photoshop. Even though I have a copy of them and I'm currently being forced to pay for it monthly for another year. They really don't make it clear how their dumb subscription model works. Why can't they just keep the flat $X and you get that version forever? I liked that, it worked. I can't afford to keep a monthly subscription I'll use for 4 months then won't for another year, especially since they force you into paying for a whole year at a time, which they don't make clear AT ALL.

I believe that their CS2/CS3 was released free for all a while ago, in that technically anyone could download it and use it, though they ask you not to, I believe. However, it is good for if you just want to poke around, or do some really basic stuff that isn't worth the subscription prices (since they were pretty insane, last time I checked).

#5 2017-02-26 14:43:15

Diff
PM

Never heard of them before, but yesterday I worked at a newsboys concert and it was kind of amazing. The music was ok and my ears ring a bit more but their lights

My man

Their lights were amazing. I would totally go to another concert just to see those lights. I've told you guys that I love music visualization right? I love things that tie our two strongest senses together, makes the whole experience 500 times better. I've worked at a lot of concerts for bigger names than these guys but these are the best lights I've seen yet. But to be fair I didn't actually get to see any of Styx's lights, I was guarding an outside door that day so I couldn't see a thing.

#6 2017-03-24 02:51:08

Diff
PM

T145 wrote:
Diff wrote:

I believe that their CS2/CS3 was released free for all a while ago, in that technically anyone could download it and use it, though they ask you not to, I believe. However, it is good for if you just want to poke around, or do some really basic stuff that isn't worth the subscription prices (since they were pretty insane, last time I checked).

Yeah, I heard about that. I think it was that their activation servers were shutting down so while Photoshop would let anyone on in, they still only "allowed" people who bought it. I agree that their subscription prices are total crap. I had to buy Photoshop and Illustrator for classes last semester, and they did not make it obvious at all that their monthly prices came with a year-long contract to keep paying those prices. Me being the optimistic broke college student thought I could use it for a few months then drop it once that semester ends since the classes are only offered in the fall. Nope. I've gotta buy a whole long year. And they did away with just buying it outright which is total garbage. I hate that everything's moving to cloud-based and subscription payment models. It's just absolute anti-consumer garbage.

Last edited by Diff (2017-03-24 02:51:52)

#7 2017-03-28 12:20:23

T145
No avatar found
PM

Diff wrote:
T145 wrote:
Diff wrote:

Yeah, I heard about that. I think it was that their activation servers were shutting down so while Photoshop would let anyone on in, they still only "allowed" people who bought it. I agree that their subscription prices are total crap. I had to buy Photoshop and Illustrator for classes last semester, and they did not make it obvious at all that their monthly prices came with a year-long contract to keep paying those prices. Me being the optimistic broke college student thought I could use it for a few months then drop it once that semester ends since the classes are only offered in the fall. Nope. I've gotta buy a whole long year. And they did away with just buying it outright which is total garbage. I hate that everything's moving to cloud-based and subscription payment models. It's just absolute anti-consumer garbage.

Ouch. I don't mind the cloud-based quite so much (within reason), but subscription payments for software is a bit silly, especially since you don't end up paying for the software itself, you pay for a licence to use the software, so you end up paying an exorbitant fee per annum to get a licence to use software. If you can't already tell, I'm a tad biased on this issue. :P

#8 2017-03-28 23:00:58

paperpenguin
Files: 3
PM

I've been on a rollercoaster ride of emotions regarding my new PC build these past few days. It's gonna cost me an arm and a leg, and I'm trying to make sure everything is perfect.

Problem is, I haven't built a PC since like 2008 and I have no idea what I'm doing. It's like:

Oh yeah, I'm gonna get the i7-7700K! But oh no, it's brand new and needs a special mobo! But oh yeah, this fancy new mobo can take it! But oh no, it can't fit into my small case! But oh yeah, this other micro-ATX can! But oh no, it doesn't support Kaby Lake! But oh yeah, it can be updated to work! But oh no, this one guy somewhere in the world had issues with it!

And so on and so forth.

I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those rap guys' girlfriends.

#9 2017-03-31 13:35:25

T145
No avatar found
PM

paperpenguin wrote:

I've been on a rollercoaster ride of emotions regarding my new PC build these past few days. It's gonna cost me an arm and a leg, and I'm trying to make sure everything is perfect.

Problem is, I haven't built a PC since like 2008 and I have no idea what I'm doing. It's like:

Oh yeah, I'm gonna get the i7-7700K! But oh no, it's brand new and needs a special mobo! But oh yeah, this fancy new mobo can take it! But oh no, it can't fit into my small case! But oh yeah, this other micro-ATX can! But oh no, it doesn't support Kaby Lake! But oh yeah, it can be updated to work! But oh no, this one guy somewhere in the world had issues with it!

And so on and so forth.

If it's any help, there are number of sites dedicated to building computers these days that can help decently well with hardware incompatibility :). (As well as showing you what PSU you should get, etc)

Last edited by T145 (2017-03-31 13:35:46)

#10 2017-04-07 03:13:45

Diff
PM

T145 wrote:
Diff wrote:
T145 wrote:

Ouch. I don't mind the cloud-based quite so much (within reason), but subscription payments for software is a bit silly, especially since you don't end up paying for the software itself, you pay for a licence to use the software, so you end up paying an exorbitant fee per annum to get a licence to use software. If you can't already tell, I'm a tad biased on this issue. :P

Honestly anyone who isn't biased on the issue needs to start being biased. No point in letting companies walk all over us like that. It feels more and more like they're trying to push the line as far as it'll go to see how much we're willing to put up with so they can get as much money as possible. They own the supposedly "industry standard" creative tools nearly across the board, they're not going to go bankrupt if they keep a one-off purchase model. Especially not when they release a new, updated version every year. They've still essentially got a subscription model with that since their big ticket enterprise users are going to want to stick with the latest and greatest when it comes to this kind of thing.

#11 2017-04-09 14:25:49

T145
No avatar found
PM

Diff wrote:
T145 wrote:
Diff wrote:

Honestly anyone who isn't biased on the issue needs to start being biased. No point in letting companies walk all over us like that. It feels more and more like they're trying to push the line as far as it'll go to see how much we're willing to put up with so they can get as much money as possible. They own the supposedly "industry standard" creative tools nearly across the board, they're not going to go bankrupt if they keep a one-off purchase model. Especially not when they release a new, updated version every year. They've still essentially got a subscription model with that since their big ticket enterprise users are going to want to stick with the latest and greatest when it comes to this kind of thing.

To be fair, alternatives do technically exist, but the main issue is that they're both not nearly as well known, or work as well, either because it's new or the dev doesn't have that kind of money to finance it.

Also need to keep in mind that even if they didn't blatantly have a subscription model, you'd still get a fair amount of people who would get the software anyway, if only because it's become something of a household name.

#12 2017-04-10 00:27:28

Diff
PM

T145 wrote:
Diff wrote:
T145 wrote:

To be fair, alternatives do technically exist, but the main issue is that they're both not nearly as well known, or work as well, either because it's new or the dev doesn't have that kind of money to finance it.

Also need to keep in mind that even if they didn't blatantly have a subscription model, you'd still get a fair amount of people who would get the software anyway, if only because it's become something of a household name.

True, definitely true. Still IMO the best way to fix that problem is to give them as much love and support and publicity as you can.

For example

Krita. Objectively better than photoshop (if you're focused on drawing things from scratch). It is an absolute dream to use with any sort of drawing tablet. Tons of usability features made to fit that kind of workflow. And recently it's started picking up more and more photo manipulation features. I mean check this out. Stuff's witchcraft. And more and more of it is coming to Krita, the fully open source digital painting and now photo manipulation program.

#13 2017-04-23 12:21:10

Diff
PM

Happy weekend everyone! Got any plans/doing anything fun?

#14 2017-06-25 16:34:04

inaheartbeat
No avatar found
Files: 4
PM

i'm just bored out of my mind 0.o

#15 2017-06-25 23:13:14

monkey
Files: 4
PM

I'm writing again. I got a good idea an dI'm running with it.

#16 2017-06-26 15:56:03

nekoparfait
Files: 5
PM

My classes @university should be at full force starting this week since they've just /wasted/ half a week blowing us off.

And I should probably get some writing done on my zine entry too whoops

ドキドキ

#17 2017-06-26 18:24:27

Deleted user #402

just got back from a mini vacation :cool:

#18 2017-06-26 21:10:58

shyboy1123
PM

Work, work, and more work.

#19 2017-06-28 13:23:15

heartbro95
PM Website

Pretty swamped at work, but might ease up in a few months.

#20 2017-06-28 14:38:40

shyboy1123
PM

heartbro95 wrote:

Pretty swamped at work, but might ease up in a few months.

That seems to be a common complaint amongst everyone I know. I overhear perfect strangers on the phone saying the same thing.

Board footer