Heart2Heart

Serving the cardiophile community since 2016.

You are not logged in.

There is a small ad here.
We'd love you forever if you would donate or whitelist our site/disable your adblocker.

#1 2017-02-17 19:40:43

Diff
Files: 139
PM

What do you guys use for editing files?

As above.

Personally I use Blender for editing videos and audacity for editing audio. They're only available on PCs (Mac, Linux, Windows) though, so phone recordings need to be moved off my phone.

#2 2017-02-17 23:20:09

Deleted user #158

Re: What do you guys use for editing files?

I just use the Thinklabs version of Audacity.

#3 2017-02-18 00:25:57

emofreako
Files: 20
PM Website

I use PowerDirector right on my phone, don't have to move any files and I can export and upload right from there. Very limited functionality compared to a desktop video editor of course, but it gets the job done. It's like, the only app on my phone that can actually utilize all of its 8 CPU cores, so it can actually render quite quickly.

Last edited by emofreako (2017-02-18 06:29:50)

It's not a fashion statement, it's a deathwish.

#4 2017-02-18 02:08:17

Deleted user #29

I mostly use Thinklabs Audacity and Adobe Premiere to edit my audio/video files. I also use XSplit to record beings its free and supports multiple inputs.

#5 2017-02-18 12:24:02

Deleted user #61

I use Windows Movie Maker to make and edit videos when using my webcam, or to simply edit when I've made a video using my tablet. If I'm doing just an audio, I also use Movie Maker, although technically it's still a video, just I've covered the webcam. I'm sure there is better editing software, I just haven't needed it. It's extremely rare for me to edit anyway. I was adding captions for a little while, but I haven't done that in a long time.

#6 2017-02-18 12:46:24

ChiraBeats
Administrator
Files: 43
PM Website

HBrhody wrote:

I use Windows Movie Maker to make and edit videos when using my webcam, or to simply edit when I've made a video using my tablet. If I'm doing just an audio, I also use Movie Maker, although technically it's still a video, just I've covered the webcam. I'm sure there is better editing software, I just haven't needed it. It's extremely rare for me to edit anyway. I was adding captions for a little while, but I haven't done that in a long time.

Wow, didn't realize Windows Movie Maker was still a thing. Thought it died with XP lol.

I use ffmpeg and audacity because I'm a giant nerd.

#7 2017-02-18 13:35:10

paperpenguin
Files: 3
PM

Sound Forge for audio files, since it's got features on features on top of features. A little pricey to procure legally and a pain to  do otherwise, but it's amaze.

For video, SolveigMM Video Splitter does pretty much everything I need it to, which is literally just clipping the awkward setup at the start of a clip and the shuffling to stop the recording at the end. It's lossless, recode-less, super-speedy and quite easy to work. It apparently also does other stuff like concatenation, which is always a plus.

I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those rap guys' girlfriends.

#8 2017-02-19 00:09:32

Lonely_heart
Files: 5
PM Website

I use SoundForge 7.0 (yes it so old but it work fine) for audios, and VirtualDub for videos.

From Russia with Love :-)

#9 2017-02-19 03:56:26

carek29
No avatar found
Files: 0
PM

Usually just iMovie since it's already there and I don't need to change much about the file. Though for HBP I've also needed to use handbrake to convert from 60 fps to 30 fps since HBP doesn't support higher frame-rate videos.

#10 2017-02-19 04:50:27

Diff
Files: 139
PM

Going to add on a little bit to what I said earlier.

I use blender because it's open source and incredibly powerful. It's basically a swiss army knife. 3D modeling, rendering, physics sims, video editing, compositing, an actual game engine, and a well-designed workflow that seamlessly ties everything together into one solid piece of software. It's just unmatched and I use it for everything.

And audacity also because it's open source and it's got everything I need. Low pass to quiet any hissing, cutting and pasting, and normalizing to make everything nice and loud is all I need to edit audio files. Simple, quick, and easy to use.

#11 2017-02-19 22:08:51

Lonely_heart
PM Website

ChiraBeats wrote:

Wow, didn't realize Windows Movie Maker was still a thing. Thought it died with XP lol.

Yes, WMM can be "pull out" from XP and then insert to 7 or more new Windows.
Also, XP is still alive in some places here and there :-)

ChiraBeats wrote:

What is software name for ffmpeg libraries?
P.S. Sorry just I don't know English yet..

From Russia with Love :-)

#12 2017-02-20 03:55:54

ChiraBeats
Administrator
PM Website

Lonely_heart wrote:

ffmpeg is used as a library for a lot of software, but it also stands on its own. You use it by typing stuff like this into a terminal.

ffmpeg -i in_file.avi out_file.mp4

This is one case where I like a text-only terminal program better than most graphical programs. For something like encoding videos there's just too many features and options to put into a graphical program without getting lost in a sea of menus or something.

#13 2017-02-20 13:30:41

T145
No avatar found
PM

ChiraBeats wrote:

FFMpeg is hardly a video editor though, it's more of a converter, with basic editing, if you know what you're doing. :P

I personally use audacity, but it can get particularly fiddly sometimes (currently have import issues with certain mp4 files).

ChiraBeats wrote:
Lonely_heart wrote:

ffmpeg is used as a library for a lot of software, but it also stands on its own. You use it by typing stuff like this into a terminal.

ffmpeg -i in_file.avi out_file.mp4

This is one case where I like a text-only terminal program better than most graphical programs. For something like encoding videos there's just too many features and options to put into a graphical program without getting lost in a sea of menus or something.

Depends. There are a few FFMpeg front-ends out these days that work rather well for the basic functions. They don't tend to do the advanced stuff, but they do give you the option to manually put the command in, if you need it.

#14 2017-02-20 13:52:28

ChiraBeats
Administrator
PM Website

T145 wrote:

FFMpeg is hardly a video editor though, it's more of a converter, with basic editing, if you know what you're doing.

Yeah, fortunately cropping/trimming/watermarking is all you really need for files. For actual video editing, a command line is a terrible way to get things done.

#15 2017-03-03 18:30:23

heartbro95
PM Website

Been using vanilla Audacity to touch up my files a bit, mostly messing around with equalization and noise removal options. Recently experimenting with filtering around the 50~500Hz range(?) to simulate frequency response from a stethoscope diaphragm.

#16 2017-03-08 01:07:18

LadyKris55
Files: 1
PM

I haven't made a video file in years, but I used to use Debut video or something for video capture... Now I just use the thinklabs audacity for audio stuff.

#17 2017-03-09 05:01:58

carsonrandolph
No avatar found
PM

I use Audacity. I run my files through a low-pass filter, then amplify and it turns out pretty well.

#18 2017-03-09 05:38:15

Kolyabun
PM

I used to use Audacity, but it was clunky as heck due to how chopped up I end up recording, along with the fact that I'll tend to just make a new file between every stop.  At some point I tried out Ocenaudio and decided to switch to that for the time being.  I also use Equalizer APO (and the Peace gui for it) when listening to my mic or sharing, due to how much interference I have (possibly due to grounding issues?).

I've been using Hi-Q MP3 Recorder for the lil bit of recording from my phone that I've done, but have run into some issues with what I had planned with that, though those were unrelated to the software (I wanted to record while driving, but as I had feared, my car is waaaay too loud to get a decent recording).

#19 2017-03-09 12:20:26

Fluffle
No avatar found
PM

I also use Movie Maker for editing.
when i make some gameplays of horrorgames and record my heartbeat to it
i use Open Brodcaster Software for gameplay and audacity for heartbeat.

#20 2017-03-09 12:23:05

Skitz2000
PM

I use audacity to fix the volume of files, I usually try to record with the volume low enough to avoid distortion if my heart is beating hard.

Last edited by Skitz2000 (2017-03-09 12:23:38)

Board footer