Heart2Heart

Serving the cardiophile community since 2016.

You are not logged in.

There is a small ad here.
We'd love you forever if you would donate or whitelist our site/disable your adblocker.

#1 2018-01-13 02:58:20

HeartLover1990
Banned
No avatar found
Files: 0
PM

How to mask a heart Gif for PhotoShop

Hi guys, I was wondering how to mask a heartbeat Gif for Photoshop, and it seems I'm having trouble with it, Can anyone help?, Much appreciated. :)

#2 2018-01-13 07:06:03

Diff
Files: 139
PM

Re: How to mask a heart Gif for PhotoShop

Disclaimer: I don't know a thing about photoshop, and I've never done this before.
Gifs are pretty much videos, you might want (need) to use a video editor to do that. Some half-hearted Googling suggests that photshop doesn't allow animated masks.

So if I wanted to do it, I would start out with Photoshop. Or GIMP, or Krita, or whatever your preference is. For each frame in the animation, mask out the heart. Make sure the heart part is covered in white, and the background nonsense is all covered in black.

Like this. If you set the layer blend mode to "Multiply" you'll be able to see through the white part making it easier to work with. Be sure to put it back to "Normal" though.

Then I'd feed that mask and the original gif into a video editor to composite it over the other image. My personal preference would be Blender but it has a steep learning curve. Since you're using adobe products already maybe use After Effects?

If you're using Blender, your compositor setup would look something like this, possibly with 2 extra Transform nodes to move the heart and mask into place.

And the absolutely stunning result

Last edited by Diff (2018-01-13 07:07:47)

#3 2018-01-13 23:16:18

HeartLover1990
Banned
No avatar found
Files: 0
PM

Re: How to mask a heart Gif for PhotoShop

Hey, that's a pretty cool trick ^^

Board footer