Heart2Heart

Serving the cardiophile community since 2016.

You are not logged in.

There is a small ad here.
We'd love you forever if you would donate or whitelist our site/disable your adblocker.

#1 2018-03-14 21:49:02

Diff
Files: 139
PM

Music vs the heart

Just found this blog post over here of someone who did a tiny experiment to see how music affects heart rate

https://jlynne96.wordpress.com/2013/05/ … eart-beat/

Most of the other stuff on her blog has to do with heartstuff as well. Guide on how to read EKGs, stuff like that.

Hello blog! Long time no see! I promise I have not been idle however these passed few weeks as you will soon learn.

Ever since last quarter, my classmates and I have been working on designing and performing an experiment. So here is the run down of what we did and how ?

HeartBeat ❤

open-heart-31.jpg?w=300&h=296

First of all our assignment was…. design an experiment with the heart. Okay….. Pretty broad topic… But we managed to choose an area that we felt would interest most people. Music.

What does music have to do with hearts, you ask….? That was exactly what we were going to find out. I will give you a run down

Problem: How do different genres of music affect heart rate and blood pressure?

Now that we had a problem we had to think of how to solve this problem. We first chose 8 songs of different genres to play for the experiment-ee while continually tracking their blood pressure and heart rate. Here is a list of the songs we chose:

country— If I didn’t have you by Thompson Square
pop– Teenage Dream by Katy Perry
oldies— Build me up Buttercup by The Foundations
children’s music— John Jacob by ?
hymns— Onward Christian Soldiers
Techno– Angel in the Night  by Basshunter
rock– Misery Business by Paramore
Rap— Some horrible song by HYFR

**disclaimer** I do not recommend listening t most of these songs.. they are actually quite horrible. I do not know who picked them

Anyway moving on…

Hypothesis: We predicted that while listening to music genres of the country, oldies, hymn, and children variety, the heart rate and systolic blood pressure would

Procedure: So we set out on our musical adventure and found out that first, the heart rate monitor was a pain. But we worked through. We also learned that listening to the same songs for two weeks, kinda gets old. But that is beside the point. Using a blood pressure cuff, the Logger Pro app, some hand held heart rate monitors, and a lot of patience. We collected some very interesting data… This graph is an example of the graphs we made of our data.

graph.jpg?w=300&h=231

I know it looks like just a bunch of lines… But when compared to other graph we were able to create a conclusion!

Conclusion: Aside from the fact that Shelby should get a pacemaker put in…or maybe not drink as many energy drinks… We were able to conclude that music does have some affect on the hearts beating rate and blood pressure. We were in correct with some of the genres we picked for this to happen (for example, rock music actually let the heart work less not more as I had predicted) but there were very obvious changes in the heart none the less.

Here is a picture of the poster we made to document our journey **another disclaimer** I had nothing to do with the glitter or the “Ludzy” hmmm..:

photo1.jpg?w=300&h=225

This can be seen on a wall down a hall in a school. (hey, I can’t make this too easy)

Overall, I really enjoyed this project! I really think that it was a good start to a good idea. If I were to do it over again there are some changes I would make though. First, I would make sure to pick better music. Second, I would only choose 4 songs, and then hopefully be able to test more people then just 5. Third, I would restrict the data collecting to only heart rate. Possibly doing a separate experiment with blood pressure. Sometimes the all of that data at one time became overwhelming and was hard to understand. However, I am very pleased with the end result…. and I am happy that the conclusion almost lined up with my hypothesis! Maybe I’m not too bad at this scientist thing after all….

The full size images can be seen on the blog post itself, but yeah some interesting stuff. Would like to see something like this but a bit more in depth with it, idk if that's already been done or not but either way it'd be fun to try.

Board footer