Heart2Heart

Serving the cardiophile community since 2016.

You are not logged in.

There is a small ad here.
We'd love you forever if you would donate or whitelist our site/disable your adblocker.

#1 2018-09-30 13:36:52

PineMarten
Files: 1
PM

Heartbeats in fiction vs reality

I've noticed that there's two ways that a heartbeat can be portrayed in books, TV, etc. There's the romantic/attraction side and in sharp contrast, the horror side. It's interesting how it captures people's general attitudes towards the heart. While it's used to symbolize love and often referred to when describing emotions, the sounds/sight of a real heart can be creepy and scary.

I think it's also worth noting that it's popular to wax lyrical about the metaphorical heart, while it's also known that people neglect their physical heart (e.g. heart disease is exceedingly common in developed countries). Also in non-fiction, the heart is depicted in a mechanical, clinical context.

#2 2018-09-30 20:40:47

Diff
Files: 139
PM

Re: Heartbeats in fiction vs reality

Somebody posted a link to this thread on Reddit on one of the Discords and it's a literally interesting to see that kind of romantic/horror split in the comments. Some people are saying "aww that's cute" and others are "well that sends up about 500 red flags there, serial killer."

Board footer